Thursday, April 5, 2012

Me, Beautiful??

Happy Thursday! Hard to believe this week is almost over...Goodness. So, yesterday we were hanging out in the living room, and Batman is for some reason obsessed with Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred" right now. He loves doing the workouts. For real. (Maybe God is trying to tell me something?) Anyway, he brings the DVD case over to me, points to Jillian (who has killer abs exposed) and says "Wook Mommy! It's you!" My mind instantly went into "comparison" mode. I was thinking to myself, "HA! He apparently does NOT remember what my stomach looks like." So I responded, "You're so silly! That's not me." He insisted though, so I gave up. Who knows, maybe he has some sort of prophetic gifting?? One can hope, right?! 
As the day went on I started thinking a little more in depth about "body image" and how much our kids can teach us in this difficult area. I know that I struggle with body image, and I KNOW that I am not the only one. It's obvious, females are always talking about the latest diets, workout plans, pants size...the list goes on. We are for some reason wired to compare ourselves. I see it in every aspect of life. We will compare our kids. (I must confess this is my BIGGEST pet peeve, and I have resolved in my heart to NOT participate.) Each child is an individual, they learn and grow at their own pace. That's great that your 5 old is reading, that your 2 year old is potty trained, and that your infant sleeps through the night. I'm happy for you, I really am. My 5 year old isn't reading like a pro yet, my 2 (almost 3) year old is NOT potty trained, and my infant doesn't sleep through the night...but I know they are intelligent, strong willed, and cuddly. My secret is, I wouldn't have them any other way. We compare ourselves as moms too. There is no trophy for who has the cleanest kitchen, best looking furniture, or empty laundry baskets. There is also no trophy for who breast fed the longest, or who got the LEAST amount of sleep. We are all in this together, and just because your way might not be my way, or vise versa, it doesn't mean either one of us is "better" then the other. Oh! We also compare our bodies. I'm guilty. I do it. A lot. I see a mom walk by pushing a double stroller and wearing an infant and think "Wow! She looks great! Wish I looked like that after having 3 kids!" It really sucks when you see that mom, say your thoughts out loud, and are corrected by someone who knows that mom... "Oh, she actually has 5, her older 2 are in school." HAHA! Oh, how wonderful. Bottom line though, I bet that mom has some insecurities herself. 
I'm on a quest right now, to tone up and to drop about 25 pounds. I want to do it to feel better about myself, and to look great for my husband. I know he loves me the way I am, I don't doubt that for a second. He tells me how beautiful I am more then once every day, and I can tell he means it. But, I also know that I want to be my best for him. If I said that society had nothing to do with it, and I don't care what other people think, I would be lying. I do care. Deep down, I even want to be that mom that the others talk about. What I learned just yesterday though is that we as moms have a BIG job in raising our children. I want to teach my kids that beauty comes from the inside out. Yes, we need to be great stewards of our body. We need to keep ourselves healthy, and care for these bodies that Jesus has given us. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My Jesus, HE says I am beautiful. He says I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Yes! ME. Even with stretch marks, and cellulites, HE thinks I am beautiful. My challenge today to all you other mommas out there would be this: Think twice when you speak about your body in front of your children. M girl is 5, will be 6 very soon, and the whole body image thing...it starts around her age. Seems early, doesn't it? But, it's true. I don't ever want my kids to hear me call myself "fat", "ugly", or "gross". Truth is, I one time said in front of M girl when she was just 4 years old that I was fat and needed to go on a diet. Two days later she stood in front of the full length mirror and said "Mommy, do you think i'm fat and need a diet too?" Talk about an eye opening experience. Here's what happened from there, "Nope, M girl, I think you are absolutely beautiful just the way you are." She replied "So are you mommy." She was right. I am beautiful just the way I am. Our kids see us as simply beautiful. We are their mommies, one of the most important people in their lives. They look up to us and admire us, they aspire to be like us. What a big job we have!!! 
Lord, help us live our lives as Godly women! Setting an example for our little ones in the things that really matter. Help us to teach our kids how to worship, how to pray, and how to serve. Guard our mouthes, our hearts, and our minds. Help us to speak only words of life, and love. Help us to be uplifting, and positive. Remind us every day how perfectly imperfect we are, and that our beauty radiates from within!
So, bottom line. If your man, or your kids tell you you're beautiful...just say "thank you." Don't disagree, don't argue. Because here is one last secret...you are. 

2 comments:

  1. Great words Mama! I catch myself, often, before I say something negative about my body. If we want our girls to grow up as confident women we must first show them confidence, even if we must fake it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! Thank you for sharing! So true and such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete